On a historic day for head coach Kelly Shannon, Lock Haven posted a double sweep of Mansfield University, 9-1 and 10-2, in the PSAC Eastern Division opener for both teams. For Shannon, the wins marked her 300th and 301st in her illustrious career, as she ranks second all-time at Lock Haven. All of her wins have come at LHU since her freshman year in 2010.
Sydney Arrigale had a great performance in the first game, going 2 for 3 with a double and a home run. Riley McClellan went 4-for-4 with two RBIs and three runs scored.
In game two, graduate Maddy Jean started for Mansfield and homered while Alexis Easling had a double. Rianna Trexler went 2-for-2 with a double and four RBIs.
• Despite holding leads in both games, the Lock Haven baseball team lost a PSAC Eastern Division doubleheader to visiting Shippensburg, 6-1, 9-5. In the first game, the Bald Eagles were limited to just three singles, one each by Blaise Zeiders, Zach Kaatz and Nick White.
Gavin Troutman had the only extra-base hit between the two games for the Bald Eagles with a double as he went 2-for-4 in Game 2. Garrett Nepert went 2-for-3 with two RBIs and two runs scored as well.
• The Lock Haven University women’s lacrosse team capped off a four-game stretch this afternoon by hosting Slippery Rock in PSAC Western Division action as the Bald Eagles pulled off a major victory, defeating the visitors, 19 -14. Lock Haven benefited from an all-out team effort that saw several people stand out on both sides of the ball.
Lock Haven goalkeeper Lauren Girardi made 14 saves and a six-goal effort from Krysta Reading was just part of her tremendous performance.
• Lock Haven opened the season with a 5-2 road loss to Shepherd in LHU’s first PSAC game.
In singles, Maddy Reeves, a Montoursville graduate, and Joaquina Orlandini scored wins for Lock Haven. Reeves defeated Isabella Mascari in No. 1 singles 6-2, 6-4.
• A series of tremendous individual efforts paved the way for Lock Haven at the Millersville University Millersville Metrics meet in women’s track and field. Hurdler Billie Jo Bollinger and sprinter Riyana Owens recorded wins to highlight their efforts and pitcher Megan Manglaviti delivered another big day.
Bollinger cruised to victory in the 400m hurdles with a personal best time of 1:04.21 and finished second in the 100m hurdles final with a time of 14.92. She ran 14.98 in the preliminaries. Both times in the 100 hurdles event were PSAC records and her time of 14.92 in the final, a personal best, is the fourth fastest time in school history. Bollinger’s effort of 1:04.21 in the 400 hurdles is a top-five LHU performance of all time.
• Competing in William & Mary’s Colonial Relays, the Lock Haven men’s track and field team put on a series of impressive efforts.
It was Tanner Walter, a Milton graduate, John Davern, Ryan Miller, Andrew Wehrle, and Kirk Stewart who led the way. Walter finished 24th out of 45 finishers in the 5,000 meters with a PSAC time of 15:32.78.
Davern was 14th in the 3,000 meter steeplechase with a PSAC time of 9:34.23.
In the 400-meter championship race, Miller ran 48.80. PSAC’s mark helped him finish fifth overall and he was the top Division II finisher in a DI-dominated field.
Lock Harbor 9, Mansfield 1
Mansfield 100 00 – 1 2 4
LHU 312 03 – 9 12 0
Danielle Goff and Anastasia Berardi. Madison Waltman and Sidney Arrigale. W: Waltman (7-2). D: Goff (2-5).
Mansfield’s best hitters: Alexis Easling, 2B. Lock Haven Leading Hitters: R. McClellan 4-4, 2 RBIs, 3 runs scored; S. Peters 2-4, 3 RBI, career; Arrigale 2-3, 2B, HR, RBI, run; R.Trexler 2-3.
Lock Haven 10, Mansfield 2
Mansfield 00 20 – 2 4 1
LHU 260 2x – 10 6 0
Maddy Jean, Fallon Kelley (4) and Hannah Swartz. Jada Schellhamer and Sydney Arrigale. W: Schellhammer (1-3). D: Jean (0-1).
Mansfield’s best hitters: Alexis Easling, 2B; Maddy Jean, Human Resources. Lock Haven Leading Hitters: R. Trexler 2-2, 2B, 4 RBIs; R. McClellan, 3B.
Shippensburg 6, lock shelter 1
Shippensburg 000 033 0 — 6 11 0
LHU 010 00 0 — 1 3 1
Noah Nabholz and Andrew Chronister. Kevin Worek, Garrett Starr (6) and Garrett Nephert. W: Nabholz (4-0). D: Work (3-4).
Shippensburg top players: Joe Barbera 2-3 streak; Carter Hinds 2-4, RBI, run; Matt Shilling 3-4, run; Ben Werkheiser, 2B; Lloyd Lake, 2B. Lock Haven Leading Hitters: Blaise Zeiders 1-3; Zach Kaatz 1-3; Nick White 1-2.
Shippensburg 9, lock port 5
Shippensburg 000 000 126 — 9 12 0
LHU 100 010 020 — 5 7 3
Gabe Stotler, Jacson Labianco (7), Kaleb Sophy (9), and Andrew Chronister. RJ Kruse, Matt Lingenfelter (6), Rylan Bailey (8), Aeden Walter (9), and Jake Mastillo. W: Sofia (2-6). D: Walter (0-2).
Shippensburg’s top hitters: Andrew Chronister 2-5, 2B, 2 RBI, run; Lake Lloyd 3-5, 2 2B, 2 RBI, career; Justin Byler 2-3, HR, 3 RBI, run; Matt Shilling, 2B; JuJu Cason, 3B. Lock Haven’s leading hitters: Gavin Troutman 2-4, 2B, run; Garrett Nephert 2-3, 2 RBIs, 2 runs scored.
Records: Shippensburg (13-17, 8-4 PSAC), LHU (7-19, 1-11 PSAC).
Locked Vault 19, Slippery Rock 14
SRU 4 2 6 2 — 14
LHU 5 4 7 3 — 19
SRU Goals: Emily Benham 6, Charleigh Rondeau 2, Rachel Mahoney 1, Katie Dlugosz 1, Eryn Little 1, Brooke Kelly 1, Jamie DiCarlo 1, Brooke Wisniewski 1. LHU Goals: Krysta Reading 6, Caitlin Morrow 5, Abby Katrinak 3, Casey Hibbard 3, Josey Shaffer 1, Gracie Chaires 1.
Shots: SRU 28, LHU 25. Stops: SRU 6, LHU 14.
Records: Slippery Rock (6-4, 2-3 PSAC West), Lock Haven (5-4, 2-3 PSAC West).
Shepherd 5, lock shelter 2
1. Maddy Reeves (LHU) right Isabella Mascari, 6-2, 6-4; 2. Ally Frushour (C) def. Mia Shuler, 7-6, 6-3; 3. Morgan Burner (C) right Delani Wolever, 6-0, 6-0; 4. Johnna Smith (C) right. Christy McLean, 6-1, 6-0; 5. Claire Dean (C) right Olivia Sharp, 6-0, 6-2; 6. Joaquina Orlandini (LHU) def. Quinn Madden, 6-3, 6-4.
1. Maddy Reeves/Mia Shuler (LHU) rf. Isabella Mascari/Ally Frushour, 6-3; 2. Morgan Burner/Johnna Smith (C) right. Delani Wolever/Christy McLean, 6-3; 3. Quinn Madden/Claire Dean (C) def. Olivia Sharp/Joaquina Orlandini, 6-4.
Records: Lock Haven (2-4, 0-1 PSAC), Shepherd (4-5, 1-1 PSAC).